Tuesday 9 September 2014

The Great North Run


Half Marathon, done!  I am so happy and proud of myself. 

I have done it my first ever half marathon.  I was told that I would love it and that the atmosphere would be amazing and they were right.  I really loved it all.

We set off nice and early on a bus organised by the running club.

Before Selfie waiting for the bus
We got there in plenty of time.


Anyone need a wee?  This is Natalie my running friend

Pre -race fun
We went to our start point and although were far back and had to wait for a good 30 minutes to get over the start line it was fab.  I was running with a friend from the running club.  We had plans on how we would get each other through if we hit the wall and a bag full of jelly beans!

We started off and it was amazing, there were people all around shouting and cheering.  Going over the Tyne bridge was great and then we were at the under passes and everyone was shouting uggie, uggie, uggie – oi, oi, oi.  I was told it was one of the best parts and it truly was.  It was amazing.  The weather was not great for running as it was so hot but we took water and got more at each station.

I wish I could do a milage break down but I can’t as they flew by so fast. Before we knew it we were over half way and approaching 8 miles.  I knew that mile 10 – 12 was hard bur we were fine. In fact we didn’t even see the 11 mile marker and was soon going over top of the hill and seeing the sea.  The downhill section was very hard on my knees but we then turned onto the sea front and crowds of people hit us. 

I can honestly say that I felt very emotional and overwhelmed.  I had only 800m to go and I had done it.  I honestly didn’t think I had the mental ability to do it.  I knew I had put the miles in and trained hard but my doubts where overwhelming.  Everyone kept telling me I could do it and I did.  I have never been very confident about my ability and it has helped my confidence no end.  I had a time in my head that I wanted to try and do it in and I managed to finish in 2:34:50  I am so happy.

post run selfie, Can't believe i didn't get a post run pic.
This year has been a year of achievements for me.  I have completed my first Triathlon and Half Marathon.  I am so proud of myself.
Need to get this bad boy on!

post run heaven!
What are you proud of so far this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment